The Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve (GTM Research Reserve) has summer internships available for an undergraduate student currently enrolled in an accredited environmental education program, marine science program, education program, or a related field. Strong candidates possess a strong interest in:
- Working with children
- Science education
- Providing students indoor and outdoor hands-on learning opportunities
- Learning about the importance of estuarine and coastal ecosystems
Summer camp is held at the GTM Research Reserve’s Education Center (505 Guana River Road, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082). Each day, interns will help lead and assist both campers and staff through indoor and outdoor learning activities. Nearly all of the programs are modeled after field biologists and citizen scientists research occurring within the National Estuarine Research Reserve system. Activities include beach profiling, kayaking, seining, fish printing, working with underwater ROV’s, and conservation projects. Each week (pertaining to day-camps) is focused on habitats comprising the estuary (ocean, estuary, and forest). There is one week-long overnight camp (13-15 yr Conservation Camp). The 13-15 yr camp will focus on conservation efforts at the GTM Research Reserve, and highlight some of the careers in the environmental field.
Summer camp hours vary depending on the week. Please see below for detailed information. Interns are required to work 40 hours during each summer camp week.
Time Commitment: 40 Hours per week for 6 weeks. There will be a 2 week required orientation onsite from May 20-31, 2019.
Submission Deadline: Sunday, Friday, May 10, 2019, 5:00 p.m. EST
- Contact the GTM Research Reserve Education Coordinator at Josephine.Spearman@FloridaDEP.gov
- Please note you will need to submit a CV/Resume and complete a personal statement (300 – 500 words) on why you are interested in this opportunity and what you hope to gain from this experience.
- You will be required to pass a background check.
Additional Camp Details:
- Camper Ages: 7-9yr, 10-12yr, and 13-15yr
- Maximum campers per week: 25
- There will always be at least two adults with students at all times
More information to come!