Adventures in the Estuary- Conservation Camp
June 6 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
An event every day that begins at 8:00 am, repeating until June 7, 2019
TO REGISTER, CLICK HERE.
WHO: The Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve (GTM Research Reserve), a living laboratory and coastal recreation area!
WHAT (Overnight Camp)
Age group: 13-15 year old. More information will be shared on our website as summer camp approaches.
The overnight camp experience (June 3-7, 2019): Campers will get a more in-depth experience into the research and stewardship activities that occur at the Reserve such as monitoring habitats for biodiversity using seine nets and remote operated vehicles, as well as participating in night walks on our beaches and trail system. There will also be many additional field components, including boat excursions to research sites within our boundaries.
Logistics: The overnight camp experience will take place at the GTM Research Reserve’s Visitor Center and utilize the classrooms as dorms (note: males and females will be in separate classrooms, along with chaperones). The Visitor Center has a shower (if needed) and restrooms. Students will need to bring: toiletries, towel, sleeping bag, pillow (with pillowcase), three sets of clothes, extra set of shoes (including flip-flops for the shower-room), hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and insect repellent. The GTM Research Reserve will provide a water bottle, a continuous supply of water, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. Students are encouraged to bring their cell phone, however are 100% responsible for them.
WHEN: Campers should arrive by 8:00 a.m. on Monday, June 3, 2019, no earlier than 7:50 a.m. Camper pick-up is at 5:00 p.m., no later than 5:10 p.m. on Friday, June 7, 2019.
ADDITIONAL COMMON QUESTIONS
- Due to the structure of activities and based on experience we try to stick to the age requirements. However, we’ll permit campers that are posed to turn the minimum age within ONE MONTH after the camp start date. Meaning if you’d like your 6 year old to attend the 7-9yr camp then we’ll allow it if they turn 7 within one month after the camp start date.
- We will provide snacks throughout the day. The morning will consist of a healthy snack (fruit/nuts/grains) and the afternoon will usually consist of a popsicle (to help cool down).
- Campers must bring: insect repellent (strongly encouraged), sunscreen (strongly encouraged), towel, change of clothes, close-toed shoes (no flip flops), sunglasses, hat. More information will be shared on our website as summer camp approaches.
- Your camper(s) will only be allowed to go home with people you have indicated on a list that will be sent around (via email) closer to the start of camp.
- We usually work on the agenda up until the week before because there’s lots of cool activities. We will send that around to registrants closer to the start of camp. Usually (because of the heat) we’ll be inside in the morning, conducting experiments or working on projects and then outside in the afternoon (the breeze usually picks up by this time). Please see the notes under “WHEN” for additional information.
- Please note the 7-9 year olds (gobies) and the 10-12 year olds (rays) will be in two separate camps and most likely not interact throughout the week.
REFUND POLICY: There are no full refunds. A 50% refund will be issued if you cancel 30 days prior to the start date the summer camp (Friday, May 3, 2019, 5:00PM EST). No refunds will be issued after this deadline.