Adventures in the Estuary- Ocean Week
June 10 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
An event every day that begins at 8:00am, repeating until June 14, 2019
TO REGISTER, CLICK HERE.
WHO: The Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve (GTM Research Reserve), a living laboratory and coastal recreation area!
WHAT (Day Camps)- Ocean Week camp will be have themes focusing on ocean habitats, biodiversity, and conservation. Campers will participate in activities and lessons indoors and outdoors. They will also spend time at the beach in the water. Camp staff will be lifegaurd, CPR and first aid certified.
7-9 year old (Gobies) – Campers will be immersed in the ocean and beach habitats. While investigating how and why the ocean is always changing they will get to experience the rich biodiversity within the ocean and on our beaches. Campers will take part in scientific monitoring activities very similar to the same monitoring programs our biologists conduct on site. Also, campers will be introduced to the chemistry behind ocean water and the underlying issues (ocean acidification, eutrophication or dead zones). More information will be shared on our website as summer camp approaches.
10-12 year old (Rays) – This is similar to the 7-9 year old description. This camp has an additional engineering and technology component — underwater remote operated vehicles and 3-D scanning/ printing! Campers will be immersed in the ocean and beach habitats. While investigating how and why the ocean is always changing they will get to experience the rich biodiversity within the ocean and on our beaches. Campers will take part in scientific monitoring activities very similar to the same monitoring programs our biologists conduct on site. Also, campers will be introduced to the chemistry behind ocean water and the underlying issues (ocean acidification, eutrophication or dead zones). More information will be shared on our website as summer camp approaches.
WHEN: Campers should arrive by 8:00 a.m. (Monday – Friday), no earlier than 7:50 a.m. Camper pick-up is at 5:00 p.m., no later than 5:10 p.m. This is different from previous years in order to accomodate our working parents and guardians. Camp will officially begin at 8:00 a.m. inside the classroom where we will begin with warmup activities. Outdoor activities will begin at 9:00 a.m. (therefore it is strongly encouraged that your camper is here by that time). Wind-down activities will begin at 3:30 p.m.. You are of course welcome to pick up your camper anytime throughout the day however, all campers will be located at the GTM Research Reserve’s Visitor Center after 3:30 p.m.
ADDITIONAL COMMON QUESTIONS
- Due to the structure of activities and based on experience we try to stick to the age requirements. However, we’ll permit campers that are posed to turn the minimum age within ONE MONTH after the camp start date. Meaning if you’d like your 6 year old to attend the 7-9yr camp then we’ll allow it if they turn 7 within one month after the camp start date.
- We will provide snacks throughout the day. The morning will consist of a healthy snack (fruit/nuts/grains) and the afternoon will usually consist of a popsicle (to help cool down).
- Lunches – Parents/Guardians must provide a lunch for their campers. We try to encourage the campers to bring a litter-less lunch (lots of resuables). We will provide a water bottle and water throughout the day.
- Campers must bring: insect repellent (strongly encouraged), sunscreen (strongly encouraged), towel, change of clothes, close-toed shoes (no flip flops), sunglasses, hat.
- Your camper(s) will only be allowed to go home with people you have indicated on a list that will be sent around (via email) closer to the start of camp.
- We usually work on the agenda up until the week before because there’s lots of cool activities. We will send that around to registrants closer to the start of camp. Usually (because of the heat) we’ll be inside in the morning, conducting experiments or working on projects and then outside in the afternoon (the breeze usually picks up by this time). Please see the notes under “WHEN” for additional information.
- Please note the 7-9 year olds (gobies) and the 10-12 year olds (rays) will be in two separate camps and most likely not interact throughout the week.
REFUND POLICY: There are no full refunds. A 50% refund will be issued if you cancel 30 days prior to the start date the summer camp (Friday, May 10, 2019, 5:00PM EST). No refunds will be issued after this deadline.