October 12 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am
An event every month that begins at 9:00am on day Second of the month, repeating until December 31, 2019
The GTM Research Reserve will host a Family Seining on the 2nd Saturday of each month from 9-11 am. Join GTM Research Reserve staff and/or volunteers for a guided family seining activity. Visitors will get the chance to pull a seine net through Guana Lake, collecting species of fish, crabs and more, and then learn about the animals and their roles in the habitat. All necessary gear including waders and boots will be provided. There is a $3 per vehicle parking fee. CLICK HERE to reserve a free spot!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need a reservation to attend? Yes, please register online by following the links provided above.
- If I can’t make it, how do I cancel my reservation? Upon making the reservation you should have received an email confirmation. There is information about canceling within the email. Since a lot of our guided family programs are full, we strongly encourage you to cancel (as opposed to just not showing up) so that we may accommodate another person/family.
- How old does my child need to be to attend? There is no age limit for who may attend this event. In order to hold the seine net, the child needs to be at least three feet tall.
- What should I wear? Please wear clothing that is appropriate for outdoors. It’s always recommended to dress in layers and prepare for any type of weather. We strongly encourage that you wear closed-toe shoes, and strongly discourage wearing flip-flops. We will provide booties and waders, but you are welcome to bring your own gear.
- What should I bring? Please bring a reusable water bottle (that can be filled up onsite), insect repellent (strongly recommended), sunscreen, and binoculars/camera.
- Can I bring my dog? You are welcome to bring a dog. Please keep in mind that all dogs must remain on a leash, and all waste must be promptly cleaned by the owner. To be part of the seining activity, two hands are needed, therefore the dog owner will only watch the activity. Please be mindful of other visitors when bringing a dog.
- Where should I meet my guide? CLICK HERE for a Google Map. Your guide will be waiting at Guana Dam 15 minutes prior to the scheduled program. The event begins at 9am.
- What will I catch? The seine nets will catch various types of fish, crab, shrimp, shells, and plant life.
- Are there any fees? Only a $3/vehicle fee for parking (paid at arrival). Only cash is accepted.
- Is there anything else to see afterwards? You’re welcome to have lunch at the Trailhead Pavilion and try out one of our many trails. You will also have access to the beaches at our South, Middle, and North access lots (for which your parking tag will apply for same-day use, might as well get your $3 worth). You can tour our Visitor Center for FREE.