- This event has passed.
Guided Exploration Hike
June 1 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am
An event every month that begins at 9:00am on day First of the month, repeating until December 31, 2019
On the first Saturday of every month from 9-11 am, visitors can learn about the cultural history of the Guana Peninsula as well as the natural biodiversity during a guided hike. Find out about the peninsula’s 5,000 years of human history, including how native peoples used estuarine resources, what European plantation life was like, and current efforts to learn about and save these resources. Meet at the GTM Research Reserve’s Trailhead Pavilion located west of the Guana Dam. Wear comfortable closed toe shoes. There is a $3 per vehicle parking fee. CLICK HERE to register for the Guided Exploration Hike.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need a reservation to attend the hike? Yes, please register online by following the links provided above.
- If I can’t make it, how do I cancel my reservation? Upon making the reservation you should have received an email confirmation. There is information about canceling within the email. Since a lot of our guided family programs are full, we strongly encourage you to cancel (as opposed to just not showing up) so that we may accommodate another person/family.
- What should I wear? Please wear clothing that is appropriate for outdoors. It’s always recommended to dress in layers and prepare for any type of weather. We strongly encourage that you wear closed-toe shoes, and strongly discourage wearing flip-flops.
- What should I bring? Please bring a reusable water bottle (that can be filled up at the Trailhead Pavilion), insect repellent (strongly recommended), sunscreen, and binoculars/camera (in case you see something cool along the way).
- Where should I meet my guide? CLICK HERE for a Google Map. Your guide will be waiting at the Trailhead Pavilion around 8:50 am-ish. The hike begins at 9 am.
- Are there any fees? Only a $3/vehicle fee for parking (paid at arrival). Only cash is accepted.
- How long is the hike? The hike is ~2.2 miles round trip and follows the Yellow Trail (CLICK HERE for a Trail Map), and takes ~2.0 hours.
- Are trails accessible for strollers? The trails are not paved and have loose sand. Therefore, only strollers with the big rugged wheels are recommended.
- Is there anything else to see afterwards? You’re welcome to have lunch at the Trailhead Pavilion and try out one of our many other trails. We also have access to the beaches at our South, Middle, and North access lots (for which your parking tag will apply for same-day use, might as well get your $3 worth). You can tour our Visitor Center for FREE.