- This event has passed.
Marineland Beach Walk
June 17, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 10:30 am| Free
Join us on Saturday, June 17 from 9-10:30 a.m. to learn from a GTM Research Reserve interpretive guide where the restless sand comes from and where it’s going in its refusal to just stay put. Ask why the sand is fine or coarse and how it got its color. Learn about coquina rocks, dune flowers, sea birds, shells and the humble gopher tortoise who digs deep burrows and comes out to dine on prickly pears along the dunes. Bring your camera for possible sightings.
Visit our Eventbrite page to reserve a spot online. Meet at GTM Marineland Office. The reserve is located at the southern end of Marineland on A1A (9741 Ocean Shore Blvd.). For more information, call 904-823-4500 or visit www.gtmnerr.org. The event is free.
- Do I need a reservation to attend? Yes, please register online by following the links provided above.
- If I can’t make it, how do I cancel my reservation? Upon making the reservation you should have received an email confirmation. There is information about canceling within the email. Since a lot of our guided family programs are full, we strongly encourage you to cancel (as opposed to just not showing up) so that we may accommodate another person/family.
- What should I wear? Please wear clothing that is appropriate for outdoors. It’s always recommended to dress in layers and prepare for any type of weather. We strongly encourage that you wear closed-toe shoes, and strongly discourage wearing flip-flops. You will be walking on the sandy beach.
- How long is the walk? Round trip, the walk is a bit more than half a mile. The walk takes about 1.5 hours.
- Can I bring my dog? You are welcome to bring your dog. Please keep in mind that all dogs must remain on a leash, and all waste must be promptly cleaned by the owner. Please be mindful of other visitors when bringing a dog.
- What should I bring? Please bring a reusable water bottle (that can be filled up at the Pavilion), insect repellent, sunscreen (strongly recommended), and binoculars/camera.
- Where should I meet my guide? CLICK HERE for a Google Map. Your guide will be waiting at the GTM Research Reserve Marineland Office off of A1A 15 minutes prior to the scheduled hike. The walk begins at 9:00 a.m.
- What will I learn from this? Learn from a GTM Research Reserve interpretive guide where the restless sand comes from and where it’s going in its refusal to just stay put. Ask why the sand is fine or coarse and how it got its color. Learn about coquina rocks, dune flowers, sea birds, shells and the humble gopher tortoise who digs deep burrows and comes out to dine on prickly pears along the dunes.
- Are there any fees? No.
- Is there anything else to see afterwards? You’re welcome to stay at the beach longer and collect shells, swim in the ocean, or lay in the sun- have a family day!